The Steelcase Think chair is an award winning ergonomic office chair which is widely acclaimed and considered to be one of the most environmentally friendly chairs on the market. It has been dubbed as a chair with a brain and a conscience which is intelligent enough to determine how you sit and automatically adjusts itself to ensure your ease and comfort. This is precisely where the name Steelcase Think comes from-a chair that is capable of automatically adjusting itself depending on each user’s body, weight and height.
The chair was partly created by the designer Glen Oliver Low who claims that “Steelcase Think is a “truthful chair”-the result of an open dialogue between engineers, environmentalist, and the designer.” In fact the chair design features two trade-marked mechanisms which were created by Steelcase after thorough consultation with health experts at institutions such as the University of Vermont’s Back Research Centre. The Steelcase Think chair indeed symbolizes perfection and excellence. This is attested by the fact that it won a total of nine major awards including the Cradle to Cradle certification from MBDC and certification as level 3 product by BIFMA 3e-making it the first chair to receive such a distinction. The chair was designed in such a way that each component of the chair is visible and users could identify the structure and mechanisms behind the design so that they had a better grasp of how it works.
Although a bit pricey, most consumers seem to agree that this chair can be a real investment for people who work long hours by their desk and who value their overall health. The Steelcase Think chair is very sturdy and durable and can handle weights of up to 300 pounds as it automatically adjusts itself to the weight, height and posture of each individual user. Another interesting point to note is the fact that all Steelcase Think chairs come with a life time warranty from Steelcase. The key features of this chair are as follows:
- The back flexors are shaped in such a way to provide optimum support to each area of your back and track the movement of your spine and pelvis. The seat flexors on the other hand adjust themselves to your shape so that to ensure your maximum comfort.
- The Power mechanism is responsible to provide recline support in relation to your body weight and movement.
- The arms are completely adjustable and allow you to retract up to 3 inches such that you can get close to your work surface.
- When you lean forward or recline, the seat edge flexes and relieves the pressure on the back of your legs.
- This chair is easily adjustable with one knob on the right with 4 positions. It is weight activated and has a 20% boost in resistance, mid stop recline and also comes with an upright back lock
All in all, most consumer reviews seem to support this office chair mainly for its aesthetic appeal, ease of use and comfort, as well as its ability to adjust easily to different weights, heights and movements.